Making electronics in a completely new way: printing.
Our vision is to bring electronics to even the most cost-sensitive applications. We make electronics through a fundamentally new process, printing rather than semiconductor fabrication. This novel process for producing printed electronics gives us a cost-per-function advantage unmatched by any other electronic technology.
Thinfilm is the only public company focused solely on printed electronics. Our company headquarters are in Oslo, Norway, with product development and production in Linköping, Sweden; product development, production, and business development in San Jose, California, USA; and sales offices in the United States, Hong Kong, and Singapore. We are listed on the Main List on the Oslo Stock Exchange (ticker THIN).
Thinfilm is a Norwegian technology company established on December 22, 2005, which acquired certain assets from Thin Film OldCo ASA, a subsidiary of Opticom ASA. Thin Film OldCo ASA developed Thinfilm memory technology in partnership with Intel from 1999 to 2005.
Thinfilm was the first company to commercialize printed rewritable memory. We are now creating printed system products that include memory, sensing, display, and wireless communication. Such integrated systems make it possible to use electronic intelligence in applications where they have never before been affordable.
- 2009 – First printed rewritable memory, demonstrated printing as manufacturing process
- 2010 – Development kit for toys and games released, initiated development of integrated logic
- 2011 – Thinfilm Memory™ demonstrated, first scalable commercial device combining organic logic and printed memory
- 2012 – First printed integrated system, combining memory, sensing, logic, and display; numerous international awards
- 2013 – First demonstration of stand-alone printed organic sensor
- 2013 – First commercial memory label orders delivered to luxury goods manufacturer
- 2014 – Acquisition of Kovio IP/assets; creation of Thin Film Electronics, Inc.
- 2014 – Opening of the NFC Center of Innovation in San Jose, CA
- 2014 – Demonstration of the industry’s first integrated-system product to combine printed electronics technology, real-time sensing capability, and near-field communication (NFC) functionality
- 2014 – Volume order of RF product received
- 2014 – EVRYTHNG’s cloud-based platform integrated with Thinfilm’s suite of printed electronics products
- 2015 – Xerox Corporation licenses Thinfilm’s patents and know-how for the mass production of Thinfilm Memory
- 2015 – NFC OpenSense™, a new near field communication (NFC) sensor tag technology, launched
- 2015 – NFC OpenSense and NFC Barcode™ chosen as the first NFC-based solutions to be included in the WorldCustoms Organization (WCO) IPM